Thursday, June 9, 2011

Blurbin’ Cowboy

So, I’m happy to report that my friend Doug Kane’s excellent book, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion, is being released in softcover. The original hardcover edition was pretty expensive ($65, though occasionally discounted a bit), and while this is not atypical for academic works, it did put Doug’s book beyond the budgets of many. The softcover is about half that price, which should make it possible for more people to read it. And if you haven’t, you should; it’s no accident the book has been a finalist for the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inklings Studies two years running. The softcover is being released June 28, according to the publisher’s website.

But I’m excited about this softcover reissue for another reason too. For the first time in my career as a reviewer, you’ll find me among the blurbs adorning the cover of a book — and not just once, but twice. I had nothing to do with this, by the way. I didn’t suggest myself or anything like that. In fact, I only learned of it when I saw the newly designed cover. In addition to the back cover of the book itself, you can also see my blurbs here, on another page at the publisher’s website. You’ll spot the excerpt from my review in Mythlore right away (read the entire review online); the one from The Literary Encyclopedia is also mine (blurbed without a byline).

6 comments:

  1. 1) Thanks for the heads up.

    2) I'm getting it from the library—the U of Arizona has it in its collection.

    3) Congrats on the blurb.

    4) Nice hair in your FB pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kidding about my Facebook photo, Jake? Or was that a genuine compliment? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake, I hope you enjoy it!

    The paperback is available for pre-order at a small discount at Amazon:

    http://www.amazon.com/Arda-Reconstructed-Creation-Published-Silmarillion/dp/1611460891/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

    ReplyDelete
  4. J bravo! Now I will have to add the paperback version to my collection - I own the hard copy one and have found Doug's work invaluable in my Tolkien studies. Will look for the blurbs!!!

    Best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned from Josh Long on Facebook that the Book Depository has it for 25% off ($24.71) and free worldwide shipping. See http://www.bookdepository.com/Arda-Reconstructed-Douglas-Charles-Kane/9781611460896

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant - my little local bookshop will be very pleased with me this year!!!

    ReplyDelete